Sunday, 29 December 2013

Maybe Michael Clarke Was Right

I was playing tennis with my son Lachlan and I missed an easy shot and this was the result. The last time I threw my tennis racquet was over 30 years ago. I don't make a habit of it but sometimes it's good to get angry at yourself. Too many people tell us how we should behave, how we should act, what we can and can't do. It's not wrong to get angry once in a while if you have let yourself down or people you depend on have as well. Show your disappointment, we are all just human.

I'm not a perfect role model for my kids, and I probably wont win "Father of the Year, but I'm a realist and have flaws. We live in a society where political correctness and high expectations rule our lives. One of my my friends gave their daughter and ipad for Christmas, and she's just 6 years old. What expectations will be on her shoulders now and for the rest of her life?

Get over it and be yourself. I'm not perfect and I don't claim to be. At times you need  to be aggressive, get angry, show "a bit of mongrel". Michael Clarke and the Australian cricket team certainly has in the last three Ashes test cricket games and look what has happened. England is on the run and the Aussies are dominating. Maybe they had just had enough of getting beaten by England over the last four years. Maybe they had lost their "mongrel", their fighting spirit. Maybe this is what Darren Lehman has brought back to the team that was sadly missing.

It's OK to get mad once in a while and vent your frustrations. I just need to make sure I don't make a habit of it.


No comments:

Post a Comment

PAN Award

PAN Award